Sunday, September 28, 2008

families...




In my religion class there was a point brought up that I found very interesting; it was the difference between salvation and eternal life. I had never really thought about the differences of the meaning of these words were before, so I found it intriguing. It was said that salvation is a personal question. It is the chance to be saved as an individual, whereas eternal life was something to be achieved by a family. Although we may have eternal life as an individual, I like the idea of thinking of it as something to work towards as a family. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to be with our families and loved ones even after our time here on this earth is spent. The knowledge that there is more than just this life on Earth is rather comforting. I remember attending my grandmother's funeral a few years ago and sitting there as everyone was happy for her. We mourned for our loss, but we rejoiced that she had gone on to a better place and could be with her husband once more. We knew that she was happy and that her death was not the end. It was comforting to know that I could see her again after my time here on Earth has passed as well. Contrary to this, I attended a funeral for a girl my senior year in high school. She had been a freshman, and had been camping with her family and friend but when they were playing in the river, the rushing current swept her away and her body was found a couple of weeks later. Being a student body officer, we tried to do all we could for her and her family, and a candlelight vigil was held in her honor. I remember attending this and feeling truly sad. I had barely known the young girl, but I could feel her loss and I felt for all of her loved ones who were all truly mourning. They didn't have this knowledge that they could have the opportunity to see and live with her once more. This made me so sad for them, yet so grateful that I have this knowledge. I wish everyone would know and take advantage of the opportunity to be sealed to their families for time and all eternity, not just until death do you part. I'm so grateful for my family. I love them so much and I don't know where I'd be without them. They are the best!

1 comment:

Dan said...

I really like this blog and the pictures. The difference between Salvation and Eternal Life has always intrigued me as well. I've thought about it a lot and how amazing it is that we have this belief. I grew up in Texas, where most people aren't LDS. Most of the people I knew only had the knowledge of Salvation. While it's good to know what source Salvation comes from (not just good, but necessary), it's amazing to know that there's more, to know that we we can have a never-ending life of happiness with Heavenly Father and our families. Knowing that families can be together forever has helped me a lot too and I'm really grateful for that knowledge.