Tuesday, September 30, 2008

speaking in church

So I recently had to give a talk in church on personal revelation, so I had been doing a lot of thinking about that as a result. In my religion class we were talking about how the Book of Mormon came about and how Joseph Smith was able to translate it by revelation. One of the ideas that I liked most about this was the comment that Joseph Smith was given different aides in his translation to give him the confidence, but that he did not really need them.
Joseph Smith obtained the plates along with the Urim and Thummim, which were there to help him do the translations. In reality Joseph didn't need this, and by the end he didn't have to use them in the translating process, but it was there to give him the confidence he needed to know that he could do what was asked of him (translate the plates). It focused his faith and was a comfort more than anything.
I started to think how often are we given things that give us the confidence we need, but aren't necessary beyond that. When you learn to ride a bike often times your parents will run along side you, making you believe they are holding onto you, when really you are doing it by yourself. Or my roommate Rachel and I are playing on an intramural volleyball team and as we walked to our game I noticed she didn't bring her kneepads. She responded that she doesn't need them because she can dive in such a way that they aren't necessary, but they are only there to make sure she is not afraid to hit the floor. Sometimes I walk in to take a test and I need my calculator on my desk just as a comfort, when often times it isn't even needed. Just having it there makes me more confident in my performance.
It's kinda weird how psychological we can be sometimes... but it's just how we are!! ....or at least how I am! :)

No comments: