Friday, October 31, 2008

going strong in the final hour..


so time is ticking and it's only a short 4 days until the election. It will be so interesting to see what comes of the election. Although I await to hear who the next president will be, I more anxiously await to hear what is to come regarding PROPOSITION 8. This is going to be so close, and is such a contraversial topic. I figured I'd just write a few of my opinions on it, because I feel so strongly.

I don't think people realize what they are voting on in regards to this proposition. Many think that it is regarding homosexual partnership rights, but this is not really the case. All partnerships are given the same legal rights as stated in our state constitution, we are simply voting on the DEFINITION of marriage.

What eats at me the worst is to think of what could happen if this proposition ends in a majority vote of "NO", meaning same-sex marriages will be permanently legal in California. Children will be forced to learn about same-sex marriages, and the relations that come with this...and they'd be taught as young as kindergarten!! This should be the parents place to teach about these things. We saw kids being taught that a "King and King" got married, and when parents complained and wished to be notified when these things were going to be taught so they could remove their child from the discussion, they were told that they do NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to do so. These topics are being FORCED upon people, when really they should be on an individual basis, as each family feels right.

If this proposition has a majority no vote... it will be TAKING AWAY RIGHTS, NOT GIVING ANY. As we see in Massachusettes, many people lost rights because everything was being considered discrimination. Bishops/priests of specific religions could not refuse to marry a same-sex marriage, and as a result, we saw some churches tell their religious leaders that they could no longer marry anyone.

I have friends who are homosexual, and I think they are so great. They are some of the nicest people I know and I do want them to be happy. That is why I'm glad they have all of the same rights as any other couple. I just don't want to see the definition of marriage to be seen as a common agreement between any two adults. It seems like it will slowly start to lose it's meaning.

I know this is a difficult topic, and I have a hard time with it, but I feel that everyone should have their own freedoms and rights, and no idea should be forced or thrust upon anyone.

Religious freedoms is what is really at stake....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4nqtDrJI7A <-- check it if you have a chance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGnj7Rd4yQk <--I had to post the one of my my cousin :)

1 comment:

HalnJess said...

Did you see that Steve Young and his wife are out promoting major NO on 8? uh oh - that's not good for them...