Friday, October 31, 2008

The MOA

Yesterday we had the opportunity to go to the MOA and to look at some of the religious pieces that they have there. The pieces were incredible! It always amazes me how well some artists can capture so much emotion on one piece of canvas. One piece that I found that I could stand in front of for quite some time was (I don't know the exact name of the piece), a painting with three bowls sitting on top of a red cloth draped across a white cloth. Each bowl contained something different- water, blood, and one that appeared to be empty but represented the spirit. There seemed to be so much meaning behind this painting and I just wished I could talk to the artist to hear what he/she had to say about it. It was a very simple painting, yet I was mezmorized by it and found that it to be so much more than what met the eye immediately.

I also really enjoyed "CHRIST HEALING THE SICK AT BETHESDA". The story as to how we acquired it was remarkable and was a miracle in and of itself. The emotion in each person's eyes in that painting was incredible. I especially liked the little child because he was always staring at you, no matter where you stood. I found this really intruiging and capturing. It made me feel like I had to know what the boy was feeling and thinking. This picture also made me reflect on my own life and what I might be doing or what I may look like if I were present for it.

I thought it was a great opportunity for us to approach the art and to learn from it and the various symbols throughout all of the peices.

No comments: